Category: Moderate Adventure.
The Markha trek is the most frequently visited trek in Ladakh for many reasons. Endangered and rare Himalayan wildlife, high passes and remote buddhist villages that are still linked to the outside world only by trails. You will get glimpses of traditional, Ladakhi villagelife and be met by hospitability and friendliness along the way, before entering into the rough wilderness that surrounds the two high passes on the trek.
- 50% advance payment confirms your booking.
- We will transport all your belongings for you so that you only have to carry your day pack with camera, water bottle and jacket.
- We serve three meals a day including snacks and drinks. We provide a variety of tasty healthy food including Indian, Chinese and Western meals with lots of vegetables and fruit.
What is included in the tour
- Airport transfers in Leh on arrival and departure
- Guest house Accommodation in Leh for 3 nights on twin share basis with breakfast.
- Half day monastery sight seeing in Leh with car
- Transportation from Leh to Leh for trekking,
- All Meals during the trek ( Day 03 Lunch- Day 09 Lunch),
- Tents on twin share basis during the trek
- Other camping gear during trekking like cooking tent, dining tent, sleeping tent, sleeping mats and utensils,
- English speaking guide, cooks, helpers and horse to carry camping gear and baggage.
What is NOT included in the tour
- All alcoholic beverages,
- Personal insurance and expenses of a personal nature like laundry, phone calls, alcohol, cigarettes, and insurance;
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control.
- Good down sleeping bags can be provided at an additional cost of Rs.200 per day.
- Two high passes above 5000m
- Markha Valley
- Heightest Camping Nimaling at 4700m
- Interaction with locals and insight into their lifestyle
- highest point 5200m
On arriving Leh transfer from airport to guesthouse and rest until midday. Leh lies at the latitude of 3500 m, so it is very important that you get proper rest before doing any activity. Visit Leh bazaar and surroundings in the afternoon.
visit the monasteries of Indus Valley
Half day excursion to some of the most ancient and famous Buddhist Monasteries of the upper region of the Indus Valley wih car and driver.
Day 03 :
Leh- Zingchen- Rumbak 4000 m (4-5 hrs):
We drive from Leh to Spituk and continue on a dirt jeep road into a parched and exposed region. After about an hour drive, we will enter the Zingchen Valley where the Rumbak River flows into the Indus which makes its way down a mighty canyon. Further into the valley lies a beautiful village of Rumbak, inhabited by 15 families.
Day 04 :
Rumbak - Ganda La Base 4500 m (3-4 hours):
From Rumbak it’s a short walk to our next camp, but very important one in terms of acclimatization, as we will camp very high tonight and cross the high pass the next day. So, we will not hurry and take our time to reach the camp at the Base of Ganda La. After a short walk from the camp, we will come across the village of Yuruche, inhabited by only 1 family. From our campsite there are spectacular views of Stok Kangri and the whole Stok range.
From our campsite there are spectacular views of Stok Kangri and the whole Stok range.
Day 05 :
Ganda La base - Skiu via Ganda La 6-7 hours:
After a light breakfast, we will begin our 2-hour ascent towards Ganda La (4900m). The usual chorten and prayer flags mark the top of the pass, where one may see blue sheep, marmots and arghali roaming the hills around. Views of the lofty Zanskar Range and the distant Himalaya Range are great as well. After a short rest, we will make a gradual descent to Shingo and break for lunch. We will finish the day by hiking for 2-hours through a spectacular gorge before making camp at Skiu (3300m). Within this idyllic village lies an old monastery and ruins of an old castle, once a rest stop for the Royal family on their way to Srinagar.
Day 06 :
Skiu - Markha (7-8 hours):
Following the Markha River, we will hike through the lovely valley on a fairly level path. The trail crosses the river at various points, and passes winter settlements that contain Lhatos (religious shrines for local deities) and Mani walls (stones inscribed with Buddhist prayers). During peak season a number of tented teahouses will be open for refreshment. Markha (3800m) is the largest village in the valley, consisting of around 20 houses, an old monastery and a ruined fort.
Day 07 :
Markha - Thachungtse (5-6 hours):
The Markha valley trail continues pass old stone-mills, a ruined castle and the auspicious monastery of Techa, which proudly perches upon a cliff that looms above Markha. The path then intersects the river several times before cutting through the last hamlets in the valley. After leaving the village of Umlung, we will be afforded our first view of mighty Mt. Kang Yatse (6400m), which will stay in sight until we cross Kongmaru La. After we break for lunch in the village of Hangkar (the last one in the valley), we will continue onward to the lovely green pasture of Thachungste (4100m), where we will make camp.
Day 08 :
Thachungtse - Nimaling 4 hours:
Today the trail will lead us up to the beautiful plateau of Nimaling, where the people of the Markha Valley bring their herds to graze during the summer months. At 4700m, Nimaling is the highest camp (4600m) on the trek, giving us spectacular views of the huge peak of Kang Yatse to the right.
Nimaling - ShangSumdo via Kongmaru La (7 hours)
After a hearty breakfast, we will cross Kongmaru La (5200m), the highest pass on the trek from where we will have a wonderful view of the Indus Valley and Ladakh Range. The descent is quite steep, but will gradually level out as we enter Shang Gorge, with its fascinating rock formations. More river crossings bar our way before we arrive at the sour-spring of Chuskurmo (used in traditional medicine by the local doctors). We finish our trek at Sang Sumdo where Our jeep will pick us up. Trip finishes at arrival in Leh.
Departure to Delhi
Early morning transfer to Leh Airport and departure to Delhi.